Early Carmel – Jane Gallatin & Frank Powers
This group of photos and paintings are lifted from Carmel’s early years. Before there was Carmel-by-the-Sea, there was the Carmel Development Company. Jane Gallatin Powers, along with her husband Frank Powers (Kaffe’s great-grand-parents), founded the company, named the streets, and began the successful development of the town, with partner, Frank Devendorf.
Jane Gallatin Powers studied painting in San Francisco, and had the first art studio in Carmel in 1903.
These images include –
Frank Powers holding granddaughter, Madeline (Lolly) Ulman in front of the family home The Dunes located near what is now the Carmel Gate on San Antonio, entering Pebble Beach.
A group of painters on Carmel Beach during the 1914 Painting School with teacher, William Merritt Chase organized by Jane Gallatin Powers.
Portrait of Jane Gallatin Powers with her youngest, a son, Gallatin. Gallatin grew up to become a local restaurateur, first opening Gallatin’s Grub and Grog at Bixby Bridge in the 1940’s, and later Gallatins at the old Stoke’s Adobe in Monterey.
The Powers family photographed in front of Jane’s studio next door to The Dunes on San Antonio in Carmel.
Two paintings by Jane Gallatin Powers – Haystacks in Carmel Valley and Carmel Valley Barn.
The Dunes by Jane Gallatin Powers – a painting of their home in Carmel, circa 1910.
A photograph of The Dunes surrounded by a stand of eucalyptus trees. Looking closely to the left, Frank Powers can be seen in the same campaign hat that rests near his shoulder in the photo on the left, indicating these two photos were taken on the same day.